Frequently Asked Questions

My bill seems higher than usual. Do I have a leak?

We recommend reviewing your last 15 months history of your water bills. If your bills have increased tremendously, it may be due to a leak. Check all faucets for drips. Check your toilets. Check the yard from the meter box to your residence, beneath your home, flower beds, your backyard and nearby ditches for standing or running water. If you cannot find a leak, call our customer service office for assistance.

How do I test my toilet for a leak?

We recommend placing 8 – 10 drops of food coloring in the tank of the toilet (not the bowl) and wait for 1 – 2 hours, not flushing the toilet during that time. If the food coloring appears in the bowl, you have a leak in the flapper at the bottom of the tank that is allowing water to seep through. rolex day date replica watches

Is my meter read every month?

YES. A meter reader is sent to read your meter each month. The electronic reading devices are designed to check or audit the readings during the input mode based on your consumption history to ensure and verify meter reading accuracy. We also have a meter reading audit program that checks meter readings when they are downloaded into the billing system and compares them to your consumption history and identifies any readings with high or low consumption for further checks to verify and confirm reading accuracy before bills are mailed. When a physical barrier or condition renders the meter inaccessible or unreadable, a bill will be generated based on average historical usage data until the problem can be resolved.

How do I report meter tampering?

Call the office 601-264-0403 during business hours

How do I report a water main break?

Call the 601-601-264-0403 during business hours or 601-520-2603 after hours

How do I contact the sewer division?

Call 601-264-0403 during business hours

How do I establish water service in my name? (Landlord/Tenant)

The customer would complete the Service Request form and the Water Service Turn on Release Form, copy of fully executed lease or rental agreement (listing all occupants) (deed or purchase agreement for owner/landlord) and a picture ID.

My services were interrupted. How do I get my services reconnected? (past due accounts and shutoffs)

The quickest way to have your services restored is to make a full payment of the past due amount plus any late and service fees. (If payment is made online the computer system does not alert us – and customer must call to let us know payment has been made during regular business hours.) We will then make the reinstate work order for service to be turned on.

How could I have used this much water??

You may not have – You could possibly have a leaky toilet or faucet that’s difficult to detect. Just call the office and we’ll work with you to solve the problem.

What do I do if I am experiencing low pressure?

Check your meter and the surrounding area for possible leaks. Next, call our office and report low pressure for your area.

Why is my water discolored?

A repair could have been completed recently allowing air to enter the line, causing the milky look.

What chemicals does our utility district add to the water?

Only chemicals that are approved by the National Safety Foundation for treatment of drinking water.  Chlorine and Phosphates are the only chemicals that Canebrake Utilities Association injects into the system.

Why does my water smell bad or have a bad odor?

All public water systems are required to maintain a minimum chlorine level of 0.5 mg/L (tested at the end of each line). Chlorine levels are tested/monitored daily to ensure safety.  If the level drops close to zero, this can cause the water to have a bad smell and/or odor.Sometimes, “electric” hot water heaters can also put off a bad odor. This is related to the heating core/element.  Does the smell only occur when the hot water is turned on?  If so, this may be a way to determine the problem. Please contact our office 601-264-0403 as soon as any odor is detected so that we can we can make sure your water is safe and reliable.

Why does debris come out of the faucet when running hot water?

Most likely your water heater needs to be flushed. CAUTION: Most manufacturers recommend hiring a professional to flush your water heater. If you plan on doing this yourself, read the owner’s manual to keep from being hurt and or damaging the water heater.

Why do I have a previous balance when I know I sent in my payment?

We may have received it after the due date or we may not have received it at all. Call our office 601-264-0403 and we will help you solve the problem.